Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Rammed Earth...

My husband and I have been obsessed about the idea of building a rammed earth home for years!  We love the aesthetic and environmental appeal of this style of building.
rammed earth house
{image}

love the gradation of colors and the thickness of the walls and how this style of building provides instant "age" to your new home...
03.21.terra1.jpg
{image}
here are some examples of how we envision our future rammed earth abode...
{image}
{image}
{image}
This home (below) is my favorite color wise and also incorporates other desired design elements, such as an antique clay tile roof and exterior shutters, but we're thinking more of a courtyard layout and one story.  However, lately, I've been drawn to a French farmhouse style (as a one story courtyard) more so than a tropical, Italian or Spanish influence.  Although, I'm always drawn to a Balinese style courtyard home...hhmm
NedForrest1 green
{image}
also intrigued with the idea of having a separate rammed earth structure on our property that would possibly be used as a combination guest house/studio with a planted concrete roof like the one below, but in the same architectural style as the main house...

{image}
This is most definitely something I see happening in our future (way in the future), but we both agree that it will be on a much smaller scale, but with all the character, design, architectural details and appeal of these much larger homes.

Once again, I want to point out that these are all examples of new homes using the centuries old rammed earth construction method (even though they appear old).

No comments:

Post a Comment