Thursday, January 10, 2013

Playing With Tile...

Well, I'm still obsessing over those ikat tiles and I've thought of a couple ideas for them. 

First I thought about my favorite, chevron pattern, tile and thought that I might like it even more (if that's even possible) as a diamond pattern instead or even a combo of the two patterns (say what)...

all of the tiles laid in the same direction will form the chevron design, but laid with every other row flipped, forms a diamond pattern....an even more dynamic pattern could be two rows of chevron, then the diamond pattern, followed by two rows of chevron.  Using this technique, you'll have to lay the rows of chevron above the diamond in the opposite direction as the rows of chevron bellow the diamond, in order to get a symmetric pattern.


another idea is to use the tile as a border in the diamond pattern, combined with lower-end ceramic tiles via Home Depot... (still love the Lantern tiles in the matte white finish)...also, you'll most likely need to use a border tile, as a transition between the different types of tiles, since they'll probably be different thicknesses. Plus, it's a more polished, expensive look.


the diamond pattern would even look cool laid on the floor as a runner with a less expensive main floor tile. Just a couple ideas for getting that high-end impact at an affordable price point.

No comments:

Post a Comment