When we arrived my husband said to take my little luggage cart and go look around by myself and he'd take our son and we'd meet back up in an hour. I'm a pretty fast shopper, I scan either side of the aisle as I walk and only stop if something catches my eye.
My first find was a great little geode that's mounted on a piece of wood, $8.
My second find was the most exciting. I've been searching for a big chunk of amethyst for years. It happens to be my birthstone. Last time I was at this flea market, I saw a pretty piece and before I could ask the vendor, another women asked for the price and bought it. So, when I saw a huge piece of amethyst sitting on a blanket, on the ground, I didn't hesitate and quickly made my way over to ask about the price. He said, $50, which seems like a lot, when you're at a flea market, but for the size, I knew that it was a steel. I bought it and he went to assemble a box for me to carry it in on my luggage cart. When he came back with the box, he had a few people asking him questions about other items so I told him that I could put the amethyst in the box myself and put it on my cart.
After I had the amethyst in the box (by the way it's 14.5 Lbs) I sat the box on the cart and was closing the lid and noticed several good size puddles of blood on the box and my first thought was that the man must have cut himself pretty bad and got blood on the box when he handed it to me. Being careful not to touch the blood, I reached over and grabbed one of bungee cords to wrap around the box and that's when I noticed the blood dripping off of my hand and running down my arm. I was bleeding pretty bad and I didn't want anyone to notice, so I wheeled my box over to an area away from all the people to get a better look at what I'd managed to do to myself. I used my cotton tote bag to clear away some of the blood and found that it was just an inch long cut on the pad of my finger. I think I cut it on the amethyst, but I didn't feel it at all. It must have been all the adrenalin of the find. Yes, I'll bleed for a deal!
so what do you guys think...was $50 a good deal?
After I met back up with my husband and he got over the shock of seeing my hand (it didn't want to stop bleeding, so it looked way worse then it really was) we decided it was time to leave. When we got back to the car he put the top down and put a piece of cardboard into the back seat. Surprised, I asked if he bought something and he said that he'd bought two palms. Guess he got tired of waiting for me to find the illusive fiddle leaf fig. I have to tell you, we got a ton of attention driving home. People honking and wanting to talk to us at every stop light. Mostly, it was the palms that drew their attention and then they noticed that we have a left side drive car and everyone wants to know where we're from and how we were able to bring our car into the country.
I still need to repot the palms and I want to put something under in to raise it up higher in the basket.
We have one of the palms in the living room and one in the dining room. I'm still going to look for my fiddle leaf though.
I love our new Sunday flea market days!
No comments:
Post a Comment