Friday, April 15, 2011

Things I Own...

Since, (as mentioned many times) all of our treasured furnishing are in storage on the mainland and I can't give you a proper tour of my favorite pieces, so, I thought I would find some look-a-likes online to share.

First up is our Qing Dynasty ca. 1900 Antique chest we bought in Korea.  I was able to find a couple good contenders...

This piece is very similar, but ours is not painted and is slightly larger with an additional two small drawers on each corner....(I'm probably partial, but I like the carving on ours better, but the pulls are very similar)...
chest with 4 drawers in China style
{found here}

the above piece is much closer, in overall appearance to ours, but I wanted to show one with a similar finish...
{found here}
One of our most favorite treasures and most prized possessions is our hand carved Honduran mahogany trunk.  My husband bought it for me while in Honduras, in The Valley of the Angels, for my birthday gift in 1998.  He sat and watched the man hand carve it for hours....I believe he paid about $200 for it, which was a lot for us to part with back then!

This piece was found on a tourist site and is on display in an Honduran museum, but is very very similar to ours!  And, I'm not at all being partial when I tell you that ours is, in fact, better, has more detailed carvings, is larger and has actual carved trees that you can put your hand under...it's a very special piece!  We feel lucky to have it and fingers crossed it's safe and sound in storage!
{found here}
uumm, can you tell that I'm having major separation anxiety!  I know they're only material things, but we take such a long time to choose each and every piece we own and try to wait and purchase things we feel are of heirloom quality, so, at least for me, I get quite attached! Tear Drop....HA!  But in all seriousness, if something were to happen and all our 'stuff' was gone, tomorrow, I would be totally fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment